Re: Topband: raised radials

To: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>, "'David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD'" <wd4kpd@suddenlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: raised radials
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:03:31 -0500
Well, I also used a 40m GP with 4 elevated resonant radials about 6' above
ground and I worked an awful lot of really good DX with it!! I found it to be about equal to my half-wave vertical dipole for 40m. (Center fed through
a  home-made 1:1 W2DU style current balun)

I'd expect that.

When we tested radials on 40M we measured field strength, and that was pretty much the point where not much else could significantly change.

However, given the choice of four elevated radials at six feet (equivalent perhaps of 24 feet height on 160, but who knows if it really scales or not) or 12-15 in the ground (and who knows if that also scales to 160), I'd use the buried or laid on earth radials.

:-)

73 Tom