Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:42:34 -0500
Out of curiosity... with so many narrow-pattern receive antenna configs, how do typical contest stations check different directions after a CQ? Frank, I still want to come visit your station during a test and see how it all works.

Diversity and stereo headphones gets you to two different directions but I wonder if there's some more powerful technique.

Not from here, except having more ears on the ground with independent controls. Each operator has two ears. I have switches that lock one ear in a prime direction like NE, and the other ear can go some other direction (at some loss in really weak signal copy).

It is always a real problem remembering to use things at the max (stereo and same direction with wide array separation) and to always remember to change directions often. This is always a problem with 8 directions.

http://www.w8ji.com/my_shack.htm

Over the years, off and on, I have tried to use "auto scanners". My first was around 1980, and I've tried off and on since, but it just has not worked so well unless very few people are calling and those that do call keep trying. By far the best system is just popping the buttons around to likely directions, although I do have an idea to double the odds of getting lucky. The problem is getting trained in how to lock on a signal fast when it is heard.

One real problem is that listening in multiple directions hurts the copy of noise floor or weaker signals. Stereo with widely separated antennas is good for maybe 3-6 dB in perception of signals in noise if the operator is trained to use stereo.

Missing callers, unless the operator scans and the caller is persistent, is inevitable.

73 Tom

Topband Reflector