Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/r

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)
From: Cecil Acuff <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 07:33:32 -0600
That crazy....I’m in the utility industry and Andrew LDF cable terminated with
Type N connectors by the thousands, outside for years and no issues. Many with
the old solder on type N connectors for 1/2” and more recently the newer
simplified ring stop connectors and no problems for either.

For years I was opposed to any connector that was not soldered but after 10+
years of using the newer no solder type connectors in just about every
imaginable situation There have been zero problems. They sweep just as good as
any soldered connector. The key is proper cable prep using the Andrew prep
tools. Or if using a Times Microwave LMR cable their prep tools. The dimensions
have to be correct. You really can’t put these things on with a gustimate and
your pocket knife like the PL-259’s

If cold weather caused a pull back it’s my opinion the center pin was probably
recessed all along and the tiny change from temps caused it to open up.

For Amateur use the PL-259 is not a bad connector but I rarely see them
installed correctly either...the key problem is in the handling of the shield.
Folding it back and screwing the connector down on it is bad practice and will
lead to problems and possibly intermod issues.

You just don’t find the PL-259 used in commercial/industrial radio
systems....must be a good reason.

Cecil
K5DL

Sent using recycled electrons.