Re: Topband: On FT8, noise bandwidths, filters, and signal vs noise.

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: On FT8, noise bandwidths, filters, and signal vs noise.
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:00:24 -0500
Speaking to the narrowness of filters for
CW; I recently had an issue with my K3s
which has the dual Rx and a full
compliment of filters with 200Hz the most
narrow in the main & Sub Rx receivers. I
sent it for repair and used my backup K3
which has been upgraded to essentially a
K3s with the exception of the newest PA
and tuner. The backup K3 has only a 2.8
filter and for the closer filtering, I had
to use the digital filter.

I did very well with the K3 in DX contacts
but in the CW contest & on 160, I had a
different experience. I could hear
everything but the selectivity was nowhere
near as good as with that 200 Crystal
filter in line. I use the Audio Peak
feature with faint CW and that helps
markedly in weak signal conditions.

When I got the K3s back I really
appreciated again having the tightest
filter and using the audio peaking
function, I was able to get narrow enough
reception that I was usually able to pull
a weak DX from under QRM on their Tx
frequency. Add then the diversity mode in
and the K3s and it magnified my hearing
capability but I'm just speaking to the
narrow filter being by far, my choice of
filter for any CW reception. My digital CW
filter is always at 50Hz.

Maybe there's something even better
setting-wise I'm unaware of, but I thought
I'd share my experiences

73,

Gary
KA1J