Re: Topband: FT8 - How it really works

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - How it really works
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 20:10:10 +0000
Jerry:

Clever way to evaluate FT8 SNR reports with your VFO 1 and 2 comparisons.

I often see positive numbers on FT8 160 meter signal reports for strong
stations on FT8. For example -- if a station is S9 + 10 dB audible, then it
reads a positive number
for the FT8 signal report.

At the risk of giving away a tip to improve FT8 SNR performance -- I use my 500
Hz CW filter for FT8 at times. It can definitely improve decoding on DX signals,
particularly if many strong signals are in the 2,500 Hz passband on 160 meters.

I encourage everyone to upgrade your software to WSJT-X v 2.0

Best wishes to all for the Holidays -- Jon N0JK

While sitting around being bored and recovering from a gall bladder
operation, I decided to do some experiments with FT8.  First thing I did
was upgrade the software to WSJT-X v2.0.

I hope this post doesn't turn into another FT8 bashing session. My only
goal was to understand how this mode works and what it can do and what
it cannot do.

-- Jerry, K4SAV