Re: Topband: Might be a good EU DX night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Might be a good EU DX night
From: K9FD <merv.k9fd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:19:25 -1000
This morning sunrise Hawaii time the band opened into EU and I was able to
worked a number of stations, all the way down to EA6,  and
even DL an hour after sunrise,  several were still calling as
the band finally faded out,
This morning was a "typical" 160 opening of old,  there were good signals
an hour before sunrise,  faded out and then peaked much stronger
at sunrise and just after.
Was close to 2008 era conditions.
Antenna I was using was the transmit INV L as the RX antennas are down
for repairs etc.  K3 receiver. Noise level was S3 with some QRN crashes.
A41ZZ and Vu2CPL have been on almost daily with very good signals.
73 Merv K9FD   Molokai Hawaii
The K3LR 160 Skimmer just heard HA0NAR at 2014Z. That is one hour and 45
minutes before sunset at K3LR.

  Yes, only 3 dB above the noise floor - but still - this very early in the
day to hear anything from EU.

Using a HIZ 8 circle in phase (500 ft separation) with a HIZ 4 square -
broadside to Europe. RX is a Perseus SDR.

You can see the K3LR Skimmer output here:

http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0
<http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=k3lr&t=de> &c=k3lr&t=de

K3LR 40 meters is off line for maintenance - but will return this evening

Happy New Year

Tim K3LR