Topband: Loop on Ground receiving antenna.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Loop on Ground receiving antenna.
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:05:13 +0100
I just tried making a Loop on the Ground to see if it would be any lower
noise than my 6ft 160m Loop up in the loft.

I followed several people's suggested dimensions . . . so 15 feet each side,
feeding it in the middle of the side pointing West with a 450:50 ohm
transformer . . . And it's rubbish!

A local station (in the right direction) on my 6ft vertical loop in the loft
needs a 20dB preamp to bring him to the same level as on my Dipole (and the
noise is 6 to 10dB lower).

But on the LOG he was 30dB weaker, that's WITH the 20dB preamp!  So the S/N
would be rubbish.  Anyone else tried something similar on 160m?

Roger G3YRO