Re: Topband: Loop on Ground receiving antenna.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Loop on Ground receiving antenna.
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 17:07:27 +0100
Many thanks for the replies (some direct) . . . it seems the LOG IS rubbish.

And Frank, considering what you say, my 6ft Vertical Loop in the Loft works
surprisingly well. It's obviously NOT near the ground, and there is mains
wiring running along the floor underneath it (to the lights in the ceiling
below).

Despite any shortcomings, having set the Preamp Gain so that a local signal
in the right direction is the same strength as on my Dipole, the noise is 6
- 10dB lower than on my Dipole. It also has a BIG null at right angles - a
local to the South of me is 30dB weaker on the Loop!

I can certainly tell that it works as a Vertical antenna, as not only the
strength but also the sound of signals changes a lot, especially if they are
around 1000 miles away (where normally a Vertical would be better).

Interestingly real DX signals (over 3000 miles) are rarely any stronger on
the Loop . . . which confirms my suspicion that DX on 160m is rarely Low
Angle! (based on reports I get from my Dipole Tx antenna too)

For anyone else who doesn't have room for a Beverage or even K9AY, here's
details again of my 160m Receiving Loop:

http://rogerkennedy.co.uk/g3yro/160mrxloop.htm

Roger G3YRO