Gin Pole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Gin Pole
From: eyg@hpnjlc.njd.hp.com (Ed Gilbert)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:22:01 -0400
>I am looking for plans to build a gin pole. I cannot seem to part
> with the money that AES wants for one. I think that surely that I can
> build one for less than I can buy one.

I built a gin pole which I have been using for a number of years.  It
is made from a 14.5 foot piece of 2" aluminum pipe (2" ID, 6063 alloy)
and a rectangular aluminum plate, approximately 18" x 8" x 3/8".  The
pipe is held to the plate by two U-bolts, and the plate is mounted to
a tower leg using two more U-bolts.  A hole is drilled through the top
of the pipe for an eye bolt which holds the pulley.  It's simple to
use, although not quite as convenient as the Rohn ginpole.  I've used
it on Rohn 25 and several crankup towers.  To be useful on a crankup
tower, you need to have several inches of offset between the pipe and
the tower legs so the pipe clears the bottom tower sections when the
tower is nested.  Total cost of the plate and pipe from an aluminum
supply shop was about $75.

73,

Ed Gilbert, WA2SRQ