Stacked TH7's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Stacked TH7's
From: tonyjw@primenet.com (Tony Wanschura)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 06:54:50 -0600
Dave Raymond-CSUS04 wrote:

However, after
>      reading the TH7 stacking info in the recent NCJ, I'm not so sure 40'
>      spacing is the way to go.
>
>      I've not gotten into using the various modeling software (yet).
>      Anybody out there tell me what the front to back ratios look with this
>      spacing?  Are they really poor?  How about 30' spacing?  I could go
>      either way.
>
>      Any comments, ideas, or recommendations??
>
>      73....Dave Raymond/WA0FLS

Dave,
My experience with front-to-back says that more is not always
better.  It is sometimes beneficial to put out a good signal off the
back of the antenna.  This is especially true in the midwest, and
especially true in domestic contests, where it is really an
advantage to be loud on both coasts at the same time, rather than
just extra loud in a single direction.  Helps keep the competition
off your frequency, too ;-)

If it were my antenna system, I'd be more concerned about maximizing
forward gain and/or filling in the radiation pattern at advantageous
angles.  I say let the f/b take care of itself.

Tony  KM0O