summary wire cleaning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: summary wire cleaning
From: rhill@htonline.com (Robert Hill)
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 23:56:44 -0400
Again thanks for the helpful comments regarding what I should do with
the aluminum wire used for my Quad as far as cleaning? making it perform
better?

1. Clean the terminations (Alnox or something like this should be used)

2. Do not use steel wool or brush to clean the wires as this would
induce unwanted corrosion, instead,

3. Use use something like soft scrub, rinse and dry when done which
would not leave any  galvanically different residue behind (also any
scrubber used on teflon pots, but not brillo, could be used)

4. If there is not much corrosion, just dirt, etc, then a mild solvent
could be used first to clean the aluminum wires.

5. Performance should not be effected by cleaning the wires because
Aluminum oxides quickly and this forms a seal and therefore does not
continue to oxidate.  The terminations should be cleaned and this would
effect performance

73
Bob N8WFL rhill@htonline.com