crank up tower loads: was wind force design criteria

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: crank up tower loads: was wind force design criteria
From: Henry Knoll <Henry.Knoll-1@tc.umn.edu> (Henry Knoll)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:22:06
On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:51:19 -0400,
thompson@mindspring.com wrote...

>Perhaps Henry   WA0GOZ could tell us how fast the sears drill motor works
>and how he adapted it to the winch crank handle?

Hi Dave

My Tri-Ex  crank-up tower has a gearbox that drives a mandrel on which
the cable is wound.  I just used a coupler from the Sears drill motor
to the shaft of the gearbox.  I takes about 800 turns on the gearbox
shaft to crank the tower up or down.  The Sears drill motor goes at
700 RPM, and therefore takes a little over a minute to crank the tower
up or down.

Hope this helps.

73

Henry   WA0GOZ