crank up tower loads

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: crank up tower loads
From: Henry Knoll <Henry.Knoll-1@tc.umn.edu> (Henry Knoll)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:32:31
On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 17:06:32 -0400,
nick@cs.unc.edu wrote...
*....<Snip>.....
>If you want to get the right numbers, ask the tower manufacturer for
>the engineering docs and figure it out yourself for whatever wind
>speed you like. I have a US Towers 89' crank-up and have been through
>the engineering docs - I think the rating is actually better than
>they advertise.
>
>Nick KD4CPL

Nick

This is exactly what I've been saying.  If you ask the tower manufacturers
for the tower specs, they will give them to you. The guy that started
this thread seems to think that the specs should be in the ads and
because they are not, the manufacturers are trying to pull the wool over
us amateurs about crank-up towers.  Nonsense.  If you stay within the
manufacturers specs for loading the tower will stay up at the wind speeds
they claim.  And you are right in believing that the tower specs have
a built in fudge factor and that they will actually withstand somewhat
higher loadings and/or winds.  The above is true for ALL towers, whether
they be crank-ups, free-standing or guyed.

73

Henry    WA0GOZ