Need Advice on a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Need Advice on a tower
From: readerl@goliath.sunyocc.edu (Larry Reader)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 96 15:56:18 -0500
Thought I'd ask for the collective wisdom of the group.  Here's the
situation.  I IOM the Windwood contest station, WP2Z, on St. Croix.  We have
a Force 12 C4 on a 30 ft aluminum tower.  The lack of gain on 40 needs to be
fixed and I'm thinking of another 30 ft tower with a 40-2CD on top.  Don't
need a higher tower since Windwood sits on top of a 900 ft cliff on the
north shore of a Caribbean island, nothing but views of ocean as far as the
eyes can see.

The atmosphere is corrosive, that's why we went with an aluminum tower.  The
aluminum tower has already failed once, in an 80 mph breeze, so we don't
want another aluminum tower.  It does get windy during the odd hurricane at
Windwood so, if possible, we'd like to be able to hinge the base so we can
swing the towers down between contests, take off and store the antennas, and
leave the towers horizontal on the ground until the next contester comes by.
We'd also like that contester to be able to handle getting the towers and
antennas back up.  This is already very easy with the aluminum tower but I
just don't think aluminum is strong enough, I'd replace the one we have if I
could.

Trying to keep installation costs reasonable.  Shipping stuff to St. Croix
is not cheap.

So, suggestions for the second tower?

Thanks - Larry
         KE2VB