Large Antenna Wind Loading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Large Antenna Wind Loading
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:35:42 -0500

>I have heard that someone has discovered how to WIND balance this antenna by
>adding plastic sheet to the boom at the appropriate spot.
>
>Does anyone know how to do this or have the needed information or any other
>ideas on how to solve this problem?

    The father of this technique is Dave Leeson, W6QHS, and it is discussed
in his excellent book, "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas".  The technique is
called "torque compensation" and is well covered in chapter 6 of his book.
 You basically add a dummy element of PVC to balance the wind load.

    BTW, a better place to ask a question like this is TowerTalk, the tower
and HF antenna reflector.  Send a message to towertalk-request@akorn.net with
subscribe in the message and you'll get signed up.  Lots of interesting
questions and answers available there.

73,  Steve  K7LXC