Quads vs. Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Quads vs. Yagis
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 19:54:50 -0500 (EST)
At one point I had a 4-el Skylane quad and 8/8 Telrex yagis (15M) and was
able to compare them.  The major advantage I noticed with the quad was in
high noise times.  The quad seemed much quieter.  Running Europe using
the 8/8 I suddenly heard the noise pickup for some reason.  Couldn't copy
any stations.  Switched to the quad and could continue to run the weak
stations calling.

I also found the quad to be quite unwieldy mechanically, a real challenge
to install without breaking it.  I started with the Skylane 40-10 quad, 2
elements on 40 interlaced with 4 elements on the other bands.  Quite a
monster.  Concluded life would be a lot easier with the 2-el 40 on its
own boom, so I did separate the two antennas and that helped a lot.  Even
then, the 40M quad was eventually destroyed when the wires hung up in a
"nearby" tree.  I had cleared trees around it for what I thought was a
comfortable radius, not considering seriously enough the fact that the
quad extended above its boom, tree limbs extend outward from their trunk,
and they move greatly in the wind -- anyway, despite a large radius
around the 40M quad support (which was a "topped" tree, by the way), in a
wind storm the quad wires/arms got hopelessly tangled up in neighboring
trees.

73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q