Quads vs. Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Quads vs. Yagis
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Rod Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 11:21:04 -0600
>Not this again!  In Kansas... Ice won't let you have a quad unless your
>ready to climb the tower in the cold and blow.  Wind in Kansas will tear up
>a quad quickly, unless it is built with pole vaulting poles.  Mechanically,
>they are hard to deal with in this state.
>
>BUT....  IMHO....  I love them...but again there is reality.
>
>Over 20 years ago, when I was a young buck and full of it....  our FD group
>put up a 40 meter quad beaming to the east from Kansas.  The band was open
>on day and all night on FD.  Never left the band...and worked it like crazy.
>Actually, it was a two -elemenet delta loop "quad."  (How can a delta loop
>be a quad?  Oh well...)  We had to use a 150 foot water tower and some trees
>to get it all up for for one day is was pure-dee fun
>
>Lee

Lee, if you are a serious quad-man, here is something that may interest you:

   Skypole Manufacturers
   1922 Placentia Avenue,
   Costa Mesa, CA  92663
   (714) 548-5596

If my memories serve me right, they sell 16' or 18' pole vaulting poles at
about $2+/ft.  A little steep but they will serve well as a super heavy-duty
spreader for 10-20 and I would imagine there would be a way to join two
together easily to make a 40-30-20-17-15-12-10 meter quad!!  Let me know if
you decide to go that route and the results!!  73 es best DX.  Rod

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph
w5hvv@aeneas.net
79 Highland Hills Cove,
Jackson, TN  38305
(901) 661-9278 (Phone - after 10 AM and prior to 9 PM)
(901) 664-7539 (FAX - any time of day or night)