Guy wires...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy wires...
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:08:28 -0500 (EST)

>Which is the correct way to install clamps on
>guy wire - the U-bolt part of the clamp on the
>tag end of the line or vice-versa?

         The load-bearing part of the guy wire is the "live" side of the guy.
 The tail that's turned back is the "dead" end.  The saddle goes over the
live part and the U-bolt goes over the tail/dead side.  The old lineman's
saying is "don't saddle a dead horse".  Don't put the saddle over the dead
part of the guy wire.

     Where do we go for pizza?  BTW, an improperly installed cable clamp
loses almost 40% of its holding power.

73,  Steve  K7LXC