Safe crank up work? (was: Crank-up mishap)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Safe crank up work? (was: Crank-up mishap)
From: bipi@worldnet.att.net (bipi@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:53:21 -0800
Alfred J. Frugoli wrote:

> Terry Dunlap wrote:
> > Those certainly sound like good rules to me but I'm still in the dark about
> > safe alternatives.  Do you crank the tower all the way down and use an
> > extension ladder to reach the mast/rotor/antennas?  Do you still block the
> > tower when using a ladder and if so how do you safely block it before using
> > a ladder???
>
> I use an extention ladder while the tower is "fully retracted".  I lower the
> tower as far as the limit switch will allow, then I place the ladder on the
> lowest section, and never on any of the higher ones for fear it may put a
> wierd strain on the cable etc and casue the tower to shift.  I do not block
> the tower when I'm doing this kind of work. (probably should though)  Then I
> climb the ladder to work on boom/mast connection, switch box, feed line
> checks, etc.  If I have to do anything that requires touching the tower
> sections themselves or reachign inside the sections (i.e. rotor work,
> tightening u-bolts on boom for inverted V's or the switchbox) I tilt the tower
> over and then I put a large 12x12 beam that is about 5 feet tall under the
> tower to take th strain off the raising fixture.  Then I extend the sections
> out enough to work on the rotor and block the sections so they won't slide
> back.
>
> That's my method, anybody else have any hints, suggestions, criticisms?
> >
> > 73 de Terry KK6T
> >
> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
> > Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com
>
> --
> Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER    mailto:ke1fo@contesting.com or ke6ber@tiac.net
> Check out my web page, http://www.tiac.net/users/ke6ber for summaries from the
> contest reflector and a growing list of amateur radio links.
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

I lower the tower, block all sections independantly leaving some tension
in the cables and climb it.  I feel as safe doing this as leaning a
latter up against it.  Most extension ladders scare the hell out of me.
 I fell confident in my abilities to block the tower and the
probabilities of mishap as certainly no more than droping antennas or
tower section into guy wires, etc...

For what it's worth...

73 de Mike
WA7BPI