[TowerTalk] Fwd: The Battle of Concord -- still raging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: The Battle of Concord -- still raging
From: UpTheTower@aol.com (UpTheTower@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:50:30 -0500 (EST)
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 05:59:06 UT
From: "Joe Spinosa" <Spinosa@msn.com>
To: "Tower-Talk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Cc: "Daniel J. Goemmel" <goemmel@ix19.ix.netcom.com>,
JC_Smith@designlink.com,
        "John M Trigg" <w5kxo@juno.com>, "Mark -- KQ6HW" <kq6hw@aol.com>,
        "Peter
        Kenneth Smith" <kd6lnv@ccnet.ccnet.com>
Subject: Concord Tower Project Update:

Hi Everyone,

I have just returned from Round #2 before the Concord Planning Commission
(3/5/97 -- 7PM).

I was denied.  This comes as no surprise.

My understanding is that the application was denied because the project does
not conform to the City's General Plan.  I don't think the Commission's
decision had much to do with what any of my opposition (neighbors) said, or
any ill will toward amateur radio in general.  At least that is my
impression.

The question now is:  Do I appeal the matter to the City Council?  My counsel

seems to think this would be the logical course of action.  I have also been
advised to perhaps modify my designs to the minimum required to accomplish my

communication needs.  You may recall that I am trying to set up a amateur
satellite station.  I was under the impression that my "preferred design" was

already pretty minimal, but I will explore alternatives.

My feeling right now, fresh from the hearing, is to pursue the appeal process

along with some modified drawings/designs.  This is likely the route I will
pursue.

It isn't over yet.

My thanks to some dedicated local amateurs who showed up to support this
project.  Special thanks (again) to Richard Shappee for the time he has spent

on this matter.

My heartfelt gratitude to Harry Styron, for coming into a rough situation
with
his expertise and representation.  I have the highest regard for Harry, he is

a true professional.  I am lucky to have him represent me.

Since my application is specific to amateur satellite operations, it will be
helpful to think of positive things to say about this aspect of amateur
radio.

During the hearing I started a short list:

        Long Distance Emergency Communication.
        Educational Opportunities (i.e. SAREX and MIR Contacts).
        International Communications and Goodwill.
        Developing Technical Expertise Relating To Space Communications.

Anything else?

Best Regards,
Joe Spinosa
KF6CWX