[TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Steve Vinson)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:03:07 -0800
Chuck Dietz (KE5FI) wrote:

> K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 97-03-23 21:19:15 EST, k4sb@avana.net writes:
> >
> > > With all due respect, it sounds like you would need about an hour to get
> > the
> > >  thing apart.
>
> Hey, who worries about taking the joint APART??  I just hopt that it
> stays TOGETHER with no water incursion!  Hey, I'll cut the coax if need
> be!
>
> By the way, I have found some "shrink wrap" type of black material to
> cover connections with that you heat with a torch...  Some guys
> installing a comercial satellite installation gave me a couple of
> pieces... It seals like the original insulation on the coax and looks
> totally waterproof...  I hope someone knows the brand or source for this
> stuff..
>
> Chuck, KE5FI
>
> --

Steve's right ... I usually try to purchase old connectors for hard line
when I can ... usually run around $20 - $25 each for 7/8" or 1 5/8" many
are still on the hard line and wrapped like Steve recommends.   They
take about 5 minutes to get the wrap off (its the inner tape that makes
it work).   I have even been able to reuse small amounts of the vapor
seal again.   Wonderful stuff.  And as amateurs we love our hobby ...
but I enjoy talking on the radio not climbing 150-300 feet to reseal a
poorly sealed connector.  The seal process is expensive but well worth
it.  Feed line never gets water in it during warm, sunny, dry times !!!
.... get my drift??  I'm working on a home page that will show several
of these processes I'll post a note when it's on line.

By the way Steve do you have any installation sheets for the Andrews
hard line connectors (one that look like a drink can??)  If so I will
send a SASE for a copy ... I just got several and need cutting
dimensions if possible.

Later  ....  Steve KD4WIW