[TowerTalk] "Installing Coax Connectors"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Installing Coax Connectors"
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 01:43:50 -0500
At 04:02 AM 3/25/97 +0000, Rod wrote:

>I use eutectic alloy solder exclusively, which speeds the process
>considerably.
>
>There, that ought to start an interesting thread!
>
>73, Rod N4SI
<><><><><><><><><><> Language  Explained <><><><><><><><><><><>

eutectic (y¡-tèk´tîk) adjective
1.      Of, relating to, or formed at the lowest possible temperature of
solidification for any mixture of specified constituents. Used especially of
an alloy whose melting point is lower than that of any other alloy composed
of the same constituents in different proportions.
2.      Exhibiting the constitution or properties of such a solid.

noun
1.      A eutectic mixture, solution, or alloy.
2.      The eutectic temperature.
[From Greek eutêktos, easily melted : eu-, eu- + têktos, melted (from
têkein, to melt).]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition
copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed
from InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights reserved.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

OK Rod,

So you recommend using low temperature melting solder... probably to shorten
the time the soldering process tortures the cable no doubt.  I also hear
that there are "liquid solders and liquid fluxes.... Any thought to using
any of these?

And someone else posted the advice of cleaning the connector with steel
wool.  As Steve would probably say..."Ouch!"  That seem to be asking for
trouble from strands of "wool" shorting out your coax by getting into the
connector.  Scary!

And.... I can't think of a thing "eutectic" rhymes with so it's probably OK
to use. Besides, lead probably has better eutectic properties than gold.
There! I've used it in an English sentence. My mother would probably be
proud of me if she were around.

And... for you chemists (or alchemists)... what is it about a eutectic
solder that makes it any different than ordinary flux-cored 60/40?
Enquiring minds want to know?

Roger, K2JAS