[TowerTalk] Sommer Antennas ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sommer Antennas ?
From: w2up@Op.Net (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:07:32 +0000
On 26 Mar 97, Steve Sacco KC2X <kc2x@nebula.ispace.com> wrote:

> What scientific measurements do you base your inference that they are not
> good antennas?
> Surely you are not slamming them based solely on the logic that "more people
> would be using it".  Surely you are more responsible than that!

Steve - About 7 years ago, when I was putting together my
tower/antennas, I asked around on the NE Packet Cluster
(pre-Internet days) about Sommer antennas, as they do look good in
their ads. Most of the replies from well-respected contesters/big
guns said "they don't work well." Most of this info was admittedly
second-hand. But that was good enough for me (and I'm happy with my
TH7s). I don't believe expense is the issue - there are plenty of
781s, FT1000s, etc. out there in the world of many cheaper radios.
73 Barry

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@op.net
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com