[TowerTalk] Sommer Antennas ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sommer Antennas ?
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:56:44 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Steve Sacco KC2X wrote:

> -- [ From: Steve Sacco KC2X * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --
>
> -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------
> > > I've been trying to find someone that has any knowledge/opinion -
> > >       first hand or otherwise regarding the quality and performance of
> > >       Sommer beams. Any help?
> >
> >        Sure, the most unnecessarily complicated antenna I've ever seen.
> If
> > it was a good antenna, more people would be using it.
> >
> > 73,  Steve   K7LXC
> -------- REPLY, End of original message --------
>
> Steve -
>
> I'd have to disagree with you here - I'd say the KLM KT-34XA is the most
> unnecessarily complicated antenna around.
>
> The Sommer antennas may have a lot of parts, but the are beautifully
> constructed.
> I have read at least one review of the Sommer antenna, and it was quite good
> .
>
> What scientific measurements do you base your inference that they are not
> good antennas?
> Surely you are not slamming them based solely on the logic that "more people
> would be using it".  Surely you are more responsible than that!
>
> They are EXPENSIVE antennas, and that is one reason which could easily
> explain why they are not in widespread use.
>
> You should also include a disclaimer that you sell Force12 antennas.
>

> Have a great day.
>
> Steve KC2X
>

> --
> << kc2x@nebula.ispace.com | http://www2.ispace.com/~kc2x >>
>
> --

Reminds me of some years back when I started a new information product in
D.C.  Went to sell it to TASS news agency.  The bureau chief said "We
can't possibly need this, because if we needed it we'd already have it."
He also told me "We already have this."

But...within a few months TASS had 3-4 guys in our waiting room every
afternoon to pick up their copies!  The Russian Embassy had another few
guys waiting in the hallway for same.   73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q