[TowerTalk] Testing guy terminations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Testing guy terminations
From: k4sb@avana.net (k4sb@avana.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 13:49:09 PDT
Steve, the one time I ran a so called "test" on wire grips was when I first
started using them. I hooked a pully to a LARGE limb of a tree and secured it
with 1/2" cable. I then ran the guy wire through the pully ( it has a center
pin which can be removed , and is rated at 4000 pounds ). Since I was in the
process of building the base, I loaded the back of my pickup with with 2000
pounds of ready mix..( 84 pound bags ) I then hooked the guy grip to the back
of
the pickup, and hooked the other end to the front of my tractor. It took a
little doing, but I lifted the back of the pickup about a foot of so off the
ground before I could no longer hold traction. Set the brakes, and let it hang
for about 6 hours. I imagine the total load on the guy was about 3000+ pounds.

Ed
Name: Edward W. Sleight
E-mail: k4sb@avana.net