[TowerTalk] Testing guy terminations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Testing guy terminations
From: btippett@ctc.net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 21:21:04 -0500 (EST)
KE5FI wrote:

"Can you put 2 Nicopress fittings at each end for safety?"

Absolutely, in fact you should use at least two.  I used two
on the bottom 4 sets of 3/16" EHS on my 150' Rohn 45 and three on
the top set of 1/4" EHS.  This tower survived many 100+ MPH
winds and two 140+ MPH winds in the 11 years it was up at my
Colorado location.  (Unfortunately one of those blew over a
large chimney into my family room so the house did not fare so
well!)  I think W0UN did some tests on Nicopress clamps so maybe
he can share it if he is on this reflector.

After reinstalling the tower twice here in NC, I did notice a
couple of the 3/16" fittings had hairline cracks in them when
inspecting them before reinstalling the guys.  I replaced them and
can tell you that it was extremely difficult to get even the
damaged ones off.  In fact, I recall just finally cutting them
off rather than trying to remove them from the wire.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV (ex-W0ZV)

P.S.  This is the first time I've heard of a Nicopress clamp failing
and many guys used them in Colorado (K0RF, W0UN, W0YK, etc).