[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 06:40:08 -0400 (EDT)
On the advice to disconnect everything when lightning is imminent:

I concur, with one addition:  disconnect all antennas outside the home and
run cables to a set of connectors well attached to a ground rod some
distance from the cables going into the house and from the house itself.
No sense giving lightning an easy path into the house, even if at some
distance from the equipment.

Consider not only what is being protected, but also who.  If I can take
the trouble to protect tender shrubs from a frosty Spring morning, I
surely can take the trouble to protect my family from lightning to the
extent possible.

And even with these precautions, along with surge protection for
everything electronically sensitive, I go around and unplug the stereo,
computers, and accessible small appliances with solid state controls.

May all your lightning strike no closer than the hill beyond yon hill.

-73-

LB, W4RNL