[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components
From: EEDWARDS@oppd.com (eedwards@oppd.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:38:40 -0500
--Boundary-1061562-0-0

K4VUD wrote:
>Do not bother with arresters, pill plugs devices, or whatever.
>Just unhook it all!

Wendell, I disagree with the above statement (no flame, just disagree).  If
all you do is unhook cables, even if it is at the point of entry, you've done
nothing to protect your site from a lightning strike.  You still need to
provide a path to ground.  Preferably the single point ground you described
Wendell.  Without a good path to ground, the current will select the nearest
object to jump to!  Maybe it'll jump to your expensive equipment "isolated" on
your operating bench.

You should use a grounded switch like Alpha Delta makes or an IEC or
PolyPhaser protector.  But do something.  Don't just unplug the cables.  I use
both a ground switch at my grounded entry window and a PolyPhaser protector on
each cable going to the shack.  And during storm season (April-September) I
also unplug the cables going into the shack in the next room.  I do this each
time I quit operating.  Now equipment is isolated (next room) and everything
is properly grounded protecting my family and property.

I only unplug the power cable when a storm is VERY near.  I figure that's what
my ISOBAR surge protector and home insurance is for.  I don't usually have
time to run around unplugging everything AC powered in my house because I'm
usually on my way out to a NWS watch point with the 2meter rig in hand.  You
do volunteer with ARES don't you??  After all, ya can't DX during a storm!

Then ZS6EZ wrote:
>In fact, if you're out on the grasslands, the safest thing you can do is to
>lie down until the storm has subsided.

I recently heard that the latest thought on this situation is if your caught
out in the open AND you feel the hair starting to stand up on your neck, (it's
too late, your going to get hit), do NOT lie flat placing your chest or heart
close to the ground.  Instead crouch down and curl up into a ball (fetus
position).  That will protect your heart more than lying flat.  That's what
the NWS folks told us spotters at the latest training.  Apparently most
lightning strike victims die from heart attack or failure from the electricity
going through their heart.  Although the old noggin probably won't take much
either.  Besides, you came into the world in the fetus position, might as well
try it on the way out.

73,
de ed -- K-zero-IL
eedwards@oppd.com