[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components
From: scace@msn.com (Eric Scace)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 17:41:34 UT
   Commercial operations engage in risk analysis.  One evaluates the cost to
the business of "not being on the air": typically, this is very very high
(lost business) -- a commercial radio service (broadcasting or otherwise) is
being paid to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

   Then one evaluates the cost of various protection mechanisms, the degree of
risk reduction likely to be achieved by each one, and then buys insurance to
cover the remaining risk.

   You can do that too, for your ham station.

   I don't pull the plugs and ground all my cables whenever a thunderstorm is
near.  I'm likely not to be home at the time, it is a lot of trouble, and I
can afford to buy and install lightning "protection" equipment.  I am under no
illusion that I am "protected" from lightning.  I have only reduced my risk...
 And I make sure that my insurance will cover the rare occasions when I get
actual damage.

   I've had my station on a mountaintop for more than 15 years now.  I've done
the work as per Polyphasor and I've had no trouble.  That is a sample size of
one.  One day, lightning will get me.  If lightning damage happens once every
15 years, that's OK for me.  Other people will choose differently for their
situation.

-- Eric K3NA