[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components
From: k4ab@nerak.companet.net (Larry A. Crim)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:52:46 -0500 (CDT)

> Do they do a grounding job so far above and beyond the Polyphaser
> standard (ground rods, bulkhead, surge suppressors, common point
> ground, etc.) that it's OK to stay connected? Or, do they just keep
> replacing equipment as it blows up?

The answer to both questions is...yes.  Despite all our endevors to
protect our equipment, we do get the occassional strike, and have to
replace some equipment. In my opinion, good insurance from lightning is...
GOOD INSURANCE.  The cost of good insurance coverage is minimal when
compared to replacing broadcast ( and amateur) equipment. Take it from
me, I'm the CEO of a company that owns and operates 3 commercial FM
broadcasting stations.

Good Luck!

73,
Larry K4AB