[TowerTalk] mast weight

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast weight
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

> What makes the second method any easier than the first? You still have to
>  get the mast up high enough to get it into the tower, either way -- you're
>  just closer to the ground when you do it the second way (though the
>  difference between getting conked on the coconut with a mast from 20' or
>  200' probably isn't worth mentioning!).
>
>  And, you still have to haul the mast up to the top, regardless.

     True, but the second method involves bringing the mast up INSIDE the
tower instead of inserting it down through the top.  The mast is inside the
tower and captured by the thrust bearing so you don't have this BIG,
unsecured load dangling over your head.

     For little and medium sized masts, bringing the mast up the outside and
dropping it in is fine and manageable.  For BIG masts, it's a much more
precarious method than bringing it up the inside.  I'll go for the method
with the least pucker factor every time.

73,  Steve    K7LXC