[TowerTalk] Verticals of Rohn 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Verticals of Rohn 25
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:32:10
At 09:02 PM 4/21/97 -0500, Bill Tippett wrote:
>        Bill, visit the electrical department of your local Home Depot
>and pick up the following:
>
>1.  Buy a container of "Noalox" to lubricate and provide good electrical
>        connections between tower sections.  8 oz is about $5 I recall.
>
>2.  Buy two each water pipe grounding clamps per tower connection.
>        These are the clamps that have two V-shaped halves held together
>        by screws.
>
>3.  Buy about 6 inches of #6 or #8 solid copper ground wire per tower
>        tower connection. (9 inches if you have Rohn 45).
>
>        Attach ground clamps to tower leg on opposite sides of the joint,
>put the short copper wire through each clamp and tighten.  You only
>need to do one joint per section, not all three legs.

A caution, though.  I used these clamps for my tower leg ground wires.
After a year the small screws that pinch the copper wire have rusted, and
all the wires are loose!  Not exactly a good lightning ground.  If you wind
up with ones like I did, I suspect they could be a problem up on the tower
unless the offending area is potted with some sort of tar-based compound -
at which point the problem is how to inspect the joints... ah well.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com