[TowerTalk] Galvanized ground rods. WAS: Verticals of ROHN 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanized ground rods. WAS: Verticals of ROHN 25
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 06:34:45 -0700
nathan c tart wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:20:00 -0400 (EDT) Frank Donovan
> <donovanf@sgate.com> writes:
> >As a matter of interest to Towertalkians, the new version of
> >EIA/TIA-222
> >specifies that copper wire SHALL NOT be used for ground wires, ground
> >rods
> >or ground clamps.  All new towers installed under EIA/TIA-222
> >specifications must use galvanized ground rods, galvanized steel wire
> >(ie
> >guy wire!) for grounding conductors, and galvanized connectors or
> >exothermically welded connections.  Tinned copper wire may be
> >substituted
> >for galvanized steel wire when the conductor must be buried.  Bare
> >copper
> >is no longer allowed in any grounding application, either at the tower
> >base or at the guy anchors.
> >
> >This change came about as a result of research that demonstrated that
> >copper ground rods in proximity to tower foundations and steel guy
> >anchors
> >tended to accelerate the corrosion of the steel members, leading to
> >sudden
> >catastrophic failure!
> >
> >73
> >Frank
> >W3LPL
> >donovanf@sgate.com
> >

> >--
> >FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
> >Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com
> >Administrative requests:  towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
> >Problems:                 owner-towertalk@contesting.com
> >

> How many millions of ground rods (the 8 ft commercial
> kind are in the ground now......one are every cable TV
> junction box (for example).... I have three new ones
> (never used for spares)... However looking at mos
> commercial installations.. the one I have seen are in
> compliance with the aforementioned code......
> We remember there are grounds for lightening and grounds
> for signal reflection... one could carry on with the engineering
> talk to the end of time etc.......Is the COMMON GROUND
> the best for all occasions????????????
>
>            Nate..........
>
> PS: My tower goes straifht into the earth... if it rots
> OLE WELL... (it will outlast me.. or at least my dessire to use it)
>
> --

Nate,

It's not clear from your response to Frank that you understood his
point.  It's not the corrosion of the copper ground rod that's the
issue...It's corrosion and subsequent structural failure of the tower
and/or its associated steel guy member!!!

This specification came about after years of study of experiencial
information: READ: TOWER FAILURES!!  That's why there are millions of
copper ground rods in the ground.  That does not mean that those
millions of ground rods should have been put in the ground, it just
means that we now know better.

The spec is: ANSI/EIA/TIA-222-F, June 1996.

73!

Bill, N3RR@EROLS.COM