[TowerTalk] Galvanized ground rods. WAS: Verticals ofROHN 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanized ground rods. WAS: Verticals ofROHN 25
From: kb3aug@juno.com (Bill Hinkle)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 19:17:57 PST
When I lived in Southern Maryland and installed my towers I decided to
look at the ground the power company had installed. It was sticking out
of the ground about 6 to 10 inches and the clamp was loose. I thought
well, I'l just dig down all around it, drive it in deeper and tighten
everything up. It was a galvanized steel rod and for the 2 feet below
the ground where I dug down, the rod was rusted! It didn't look like a
good ground to me. So I tied it in to another copper rod about 5 feet
away. Did I do wrong? After seeing that, I thought I would never use a
galvanized rod for anything. My thoughts were, that galvanized was a
cheap way to ground something. Galvanizing will rust, so how can this be
the new standard?

     Bill, KB3AUG