[TowerTalk] Grounds...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounds...
From: W6MR@pacbell.net (W6MR@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 11:26:06 -0700
Dale Martin wrote:

> After putting in a bright, shiny new copper plated ground rod the other
> day, and the copper between it and the tower nice and bright (even in
> this rain), I can't help but think how effective and efficient it is/looks.
> (one can hope)
>
> I am now wondering about the grounds of the (1) gas meter/regulator, the
> electrical ground at the breaker box, and the telephone ground.  They all
> look like crap.  How effective are they really?  I am sure there would be a
> big liability problem on my part if I replaced or connected copper ground
> rods next to them.
>
> Has anyone ever asked their utility providers as to whether it is or is not
> okay to supplement their grounding?  Or to intertie the grounds all together?
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Dale Martin, KG5U
> kg5u@hal-pc.org
> http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u
>
> --
> Problems:                 owner-towertalk@contesting.comDO NOT CONNECT A
> GROUNG TO THE GAS MEETER! THEY HAVE AN INSULATED BUSHING
TO ISOLATE THE HOUSE FROM THEIR SYSTEM. SEVERAL YEARS AGO THE GAS CO.
WENT ON A BIG CAMPAIN TO INSTALL THESE BUSHINGS. THEY FOUND THAT THE
ELECTROLIST WAS EATING UP THEIR STEEL PIPE IN THE GROUND. NEW SYSTEMS USE
 PLASTIC. THEN RUN A WIRE NEXT TO IT SO THEY CAN TRACE THE PIPE.
73 JOE W6MR
J & J ANTENNS SERVICE