[TowerTalk] XQ QUADS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] XQ QUADS
From: wb4mnf@atl.org (Bob Duckworth)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 18:18:27 +0100

----------
| From: Pete Soper <psoper@donedeal.encore.com>
|       I'm copying the reflector in case we both might get some insights about
| the quad antenna type based on two wavelength long elements.

In my experience a two wavelength loop blows away a dipole at the height of
the top wire.
I've been running one for almost ten years and never been happier with an
antenna.

If Pete would like to model my loop, I'd like to see what it looks like and
maybe the list
would be interested too.

Loop is approx 2 wave circumference formed as:

3/4 wave bottom wire approx 10' above 'average' ground on ridgetop.
3/4 wave top wire
1/4 wave vertical wires

I feed it 1/4 wave from a bottom corner with 450 ohm twin lead that was
trimmed
until I could  match via a Johnson Matchbox (balanced feed). The feed is on
the
order of 3/4 wave (very rough estimate as I didn't measure).

No towers here yet but I'm looking :-)

-bob
wb4mnf