[TowerTalk] 1/4CCM torque limit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1/4CCM torque limit
From: psoper@donedeal.encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 11:09:57 -0400
Hi Folks,
        While putting up the first part of my tower I stripped the threads on
one EHS cable clamp (clip) and broke another one. This was with a ratchet
wrench with a 6" long handle. I'm no strongman and figure the absolute maximum
torque I could have applied was 40 foot pounds (and it was probably more like
25-30 foot pounds). These 1/4CCM clamps were ordered with the Rohn part number
from a major supplier. Side by side with the same part from a second major
supplier they are hard to tell apart. The two failures were out of 38 clamps
installed so far. I alternate between the two nuts to pull them out evenly
from the saddle.
        Questions:

  1. What torque value is "right" for this situation? I'll also be using a
     large number of 3/16CCM clamps later and would like to know the torque
     limit for these too.
  2. If #1 has no answer, can I use a visual indication, like some amount of
     crimping of the EHS to tell me I have the thing properly tightened?
  3. Is it likely I have defective clamps or is a 5% failure a fact of life
     with these components?

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG