[TowerTalk] New beta of gcmwin! SOLVED?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New beta of gcmwin! SOLVED?
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:09:33 -0400
Hi Jim and all the guys in TowerTalk land,

re. the Great Circle Mapping Freeware Program...... gcmwin22.... (new beta
version 2.3)  [of particular interest for all you TOWER and ANTENNA and
CONTEST and MAP aficionados].....

I'm having trouble too!  I believe the language is Swedish.  The only words
I know in Swedish are "smorgasbord" [which everyone in Sweden calls a
"buffet"] and "when do we eat?"  The freeware author, Roger Hedin, is
fluent in English so I'm sure he'll clear up the problem real soon. I've
already written to him.

ATTENTION!  ATTENTION! LATE BREAKING NEWS!!!

I've just been to Roger's (Roger Hedin, SM3GSJ's) website at:

                                 http://hem.passagen.se/sm3gsj

This is an interesting place to visit. Go there FIRST!

Then go to the next page at:

                                 http://hem.passagen.se/sm3gsj/gcm.htm

Here is where you'll get a complete preview of what his program looks like
and what the new features are implemented in the beta version 2.3.

You'll also be able to download the complete previous version (2.2)
[ZIPped] by clicking on the first item in the table at the bottom of the
page.

It took me a little less than five minutes to download this file with a
Pentium 133-mhz machine and a 26.4K modem connection. The file is almost
1-meg in size so some of you will need some patience here.

Also a fast machine is definitely an asset running this program as it does
some heavy duty number crunching to display the (beautiful) graphics and,
with on an older, pokey 16 bit machine... you may need a shave between
screen redraws. Also, the maps it prints out on my 1400 dpi B/W laser
printer.... are gorgeous!  (No Jaggies!) You can save considerable time in
the screen redraws by going into the setup screen and turning off features
you don't need like rivers and colors and such.

At the very top of this page you will see the line that says...

"A NEW version will soon be out (2.3)
Would you like to test a beta version of this program you can download it
here!"

Click on the last word "here" to download the new version  (2.3) which I
believe requires the other files to exist on your machine.  It took less
than a minute to do.

I'm just fooling around with this thing so I'm no guru. Great fun when
trying to keep out of the heat. Hope I've been helpful.

Stay cool. Skoal!

Roger, K2JAS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>