[TowerTalk] Figuring Noon

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Figuring Noon
From: mainhart@juno.com (Rick Mainhart)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 21:44:40 -0400
You know ... I get confused with this obsession with absolute precision
in pointing antennas with a 10-50 degree wide (-3dB) main lobe. What am I
missing, other than the fun of calculating, calibrating, recalculating,
recalibrating ... and so on?

I kinda figure that you're going to rock the beam back and forth to get
the best signal from "the new one", no matter what the direction.

Why not compute the great circle path to WWV from your location, aim your
antenna in the general direction,  rock the beam back and forth for
maximum signal, and calibrate to that?

We digging in the pepper again?

73,

Rick, WB3EXR

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:22:40 -0400 at949@detroit.freenet.org (Ron St.
Laurent) writes:

>Another way to figure Noon with the sunrise/sunset times
>is to use an Excel spreadsheet.  First do the sh/sun w
>on the DX Cluster to get rise/set times as stated in a
>for W land which is 1016Z and 0134Z.  Of course sunrise
>is in today's date and sunset will be in tomorrow's date.
Wide kerf from using a chain saw to cut the rest of this wonderful
explaination away.