[TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams?
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 23:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
>I read the fine print in my State Farm Homeowner's Extra policy and discovered
>they exclude "artificially induced" power surge damage to "chips, capacitors,
>transistors, tubes, etc. That doesn't make me very happy, considering the
>amount of consumer electronics and ham gear in my house.
>
>What companies cover replacement costs of equipment damaged by lightning
>induced power surges or direct strikes? I'm looking to change companies
>immediately.
>
>Nelson
>KU0A

Don't know about you, but I would say that lightning is quite natural and
when it strikes a power line, that would have to be a "naturally induced"
power surge.  An "artificially induced" power surge would be something like
a much higher voltage line drops from above and falls on the lines to your
house, I would think.  You might consider putting this situation on the
"hamlaw" reflector where they really get off on this sort of thing.

If your policy specifically reads "artificially induced power surge", the
implication is that some power surges are NOT artificially induced but some
are.  So, other than lightning, what would a "non-artificially induced power
surge" be?  I think you could argue a long time over that clause in court.
You'd probably win since it certainly isn't clear what they are talking about.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

"Not a lawyer.  Just a guy with an opinion about everything . . . "