[TowerTalk] Editorial in Dallas Morning News

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Editorial in Dallas Morning News
From: w5ww@hotmail.com (Brent Childers)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:29:00 PDT
Hello All,

A friend of mine pointed this editorial from today's Dallas Morning
News.  It's interesting to hear something from someone else's point of
view about towers.  I don't know if I should consider it a complement or
slam to be equated to a spotted owl.

Oh well enjoy - 73 de w5ww (hoot hoot)

url: http://www.dallasnews.com/letters-nf/letters5.htm

Butt out

We know Rep. Sam Johnson is really busy trying to balance the budget,
reduce the deficit and check on campaign spending, but we have this
little neighborhood problem with ham radio operators, and Plano city
officials say Mr. Johnson is the only one who can help. So here goes.

Awhile back this ham operator moves into the neighborhood and before
long this huge, ugly antenna sprouts up in his yard. To make matters
worse, as time goes by, the thing just grows and grows like Jack's
beanstalk, until neighbors finally figure enough's enough and call a
meeting to talk about it.

To the complete surprise of everyone, except the lawyers who know
everything about everything, come to find out ham radio operators are
protected by the Federal Communications Commission, much like the
spotted owl. They can put up antennas as big and ugly as they want and
neighbors can't do anything about it. Neither are they responsible for
any interference to TV, radio or cellular phones. We were further told
ham operators are our friends. Hey, I don't know about you, Sam, but
anyone who builds a public eyesore in his yard and messes with my TV
reception is no friend of mine.

Whatever happened to the democratic principle of self-rule? If all this
is true, then it is high time for the federal government to butt out and
let local neighborhoods solve their own problems. Hope Sam will agree
that property owners, too, should have some rights.

FRED E. ZIMMERMAN, Plano