[TowerTalk] New (?) idea for protecting underground feedlines

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New (?) idea for protecting underground feedlines
From: mashaum@fcg.net (Mark Shaum)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:09:49 -0500
Now that the #25 foldover is (finally) on it's way back up,
I thought of an inexpensive method of protecting my
underground feedline that I don't recall having seen
described.  Here's what I might try, unless I get some real
negative feedback:

I'll pick up appropriate lengths of 5/8 inch i.d. garden
hose.  Rubber or vinyl, depending on the state of my
pocketbook.  My LMR400U will slide nicely through the hose
(sans connectors), and the hose will be buried in a shallow
trench.  I some advantages in that there will not be a lot
of air space between the coax and hose (maybe 1/2 inch hose
will provide an optimum fit) to collect moisture, and the
hose comes with built-in waterproof connectors, with
adapters readily available and easy to mount on entry
panels or switchboxes.  The hose is easily extensible if
needed with more hose and connectors.

Since the LMR400U is not rated for direct burial, I'm
hoping this will provide sufficient protection without my
running into the underground pipe filled with condensed
moisture problem, with the water eventually making it's way
through the coax jacket.

Any comments?

Mark Shaum  K9TR
mashaum@fcg.net