[TowerTalk] Trap Resonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance
From: p.cattell@qut.edu.au (Peter Cattell)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:13:52 +1000 (EST)
Gi'day from 'down under',

I have been reading postings from this group with much interest for the
last 2 months.  This is my first post.  I bought a few weeks ago a Hy-Gain
TH6 DXX Thunderbird Yagi.  I have disassembled it, cleaned all overlapping
sections of tubing, coated them with Aluminox conductive paste and
reassembled it.  Prior to raising it on the tower, I would like to check
that all traps are OK.

I intend to look for 0.0 DC resistance over all trap connections.  My
question is:

"what resonant frequencies should I look for using a GDO hooked onto the
hot end of the traps and should I disconnect the traps fromn the elements
when measuring the freguencies of resonance"?

Also, is this the best way of ensuring the traps are OK?  Should I be doing
any other tests on the traps on the ground - e.g. using a noise bridge?

Peter (VK4GPP)
Brisbane
Australia