[TowerTalk] Trap Resonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance
From: mwalker@geronimo.Legato.COM (Mike Walker)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:47:39 -0400
At 02:13 PM 8/12/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Gi'day from 'down under',
>
>I have been reading postings from this group with much interest for the
>last 2 months.  This is my first post.  I bought a few weeks ago a Hy-Gain
>TH6 DXX Thunderbird Yagi.  I have disassembled it, cleaned all overlapping
>sections of tubing, coated them with Aluminox conductive paste and
>reassembled it.  Prior to raising it on the tower, I would like to check
>that all traps are OK.
>
>I intend to look for 0.0 DC resistance over all trap connections.  My
>question is:
>
>"what resonant frequencies should I look for using a GDO hooked onto the
>hot end of the traps and should I disconnect the traps fromn the elements
>when measuring the freguencies of resonance"?
>
>Also, is this the best way of ensuring the traps are OK?  Should I be doing
>any other tests on the traps on the ground - e.g. using a noise bridge?

Hi Peter

I'm just going through the same thing.

10M traps 27.6Mhz
15M traps 20.6Mhz

(the above information is from Hygains web page)

You should use a grid dip meter to do the testing, but I could use some
direction here as well on how to do this.  I have a meter, but I need some
advise on the coupling.

Regards...Mike VA3MW