[TowerTalk] Noise caused by tower.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noise caused by tower.
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:15:24 -0400 (EDT)
Our local 2-mtr repeater is having some problems.  We are experiencing
noise caused by what is believed to be something on the tower when the
wind blows.  When the wind is "howling", the noise is QRV.  Anything
short of "howling", and the noise is gone.  Below is a desciption of the
installation...

-----------------
We have an 170 ft tower approximately the size of rohn 65 (no rust).
The tower is in 20 foot sections and bolted together with 3 bolts per
section.  The guying is 40 foot apart with 1/4 inch cable on the first set
of guys and 3/8 inch cable on the top three guys. The guys are attached to
the tower with guy grips. The tower has only one antenna, a celwave PD 654
(8 folded dipoles) for a 146.835 + 600 repeater.

If you shake the guys, the noise will take out a weak signal and it can
be heard on a medium signal.  A strong wind has the same results.  If you
turn the transmitter off, the noise is no longer heard in the receiver. We
strapped the guy grips to the tower and helped the noise problem by 50 to
70 percent but its still a  problem at times. The thing I can't
understand

Any of you experts have any ideas?

73

Bill, W4AN