[TowerTalk] Noise caused by tower.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noise caused by tower.
From: n3hrt@eagle1.eaglenet.com (Martin Gary)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 01:25:16 -0400
Bill,
I had that same problem with my repeater. I went through the same
proceedure. I put ground straps across the guys. It helped but, didn't
fix it. I racked my brain for some time untill I finally decided to go
up the tower and redo everything. I took all of the connectors apart and
looked for water, or corrosion. Finding everything in good order, I got
someone to key the repeater and watch the limiter meter while I moved
everything around. It turned out to be the one PL259 jumper that was in
the system (I had replaced the rest of them with n type connectors a
long time ago). There is a SO238 connector on my antenna ( a
Phelps-Dodge Station Master) and since I didn't want to take the antenna
apart I didn't replace it. I put an n-type to PL259 adapter in place of
the jumper and that fixed it. Now I can run 250 watts out of the
duplexer with no deflection on the receiver's limiter current meter.

No matter how well you solder the shield of your coax to a PL259
connector, it will eventually get corroded and start making noise.
I have found at least a dozen bad 259 jumpers in the last five years,
and maybe one n type jumper. So whatever you do get rid of as many pl259
connectors in your repeater system as you can!

Send me an email if you have any more questions, unfortunately I've had
to fix lots of those kinds of problems.....

Hope this helps,
Martin - N3HRT