[TowerTalk] Preformed Guy-Grip dead-ends

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Preformed Guy-Grip dead-ends
From: dietz@texas.net (Chuck Dietz)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 23:47:41 -0500
I have always used cable clips in the past and I had no first hand
experience with Preforms.  I am passing this to anyone who (like me) is
not acquainted with preformed guy-grips and might make the same mistake.

I bought some preformed guy-grips at Dayton which the vendor said were
for 1/4" guy wire.  I brought them home (fat, dumb & happy) and stored
them for use later (now).  I purchased some more of them from a local
supply house and got a catalog from Preformed Line Products.

The ones I had bought in Dayton were for 7/32" guy wire!  As you can
imagine, they have to be the right size or disaster would be the result!

Here are the markings I have been able to determine (each preform is
marked by 4 dabs of colored paint and some markings on a small label):

There are also certain min and max diameters the preform can wrap around
beginning the wrap at the first (closest to the loop end) and the second
paint marks on the preform.  These are listed below.

paint         wire                              first paint
mark             second
color         size        marking        min. dia.    max. dia.
max. dia.

    ?           3/16"         -                  1.0"          1
3/4"             2 1/2"

green        7/32"       3 # 10           1 1/8"         1
3/4"             2 1/2"

yellow        1/4"        7 # 12           1 1/8"         1
3/4"             2 1/2"

    ?           9/32"       7 # 11           1 1/8"         1
3/4"             2 1/2"

As the wire size increases, the length of the preform increases.  It is
difficult to "eyeball" the diameter change from one size to the next.
The instructions ask you to start wrapping the preform at the first set
of paint marks unless the diameter of the object you are wrapped around
with the looped end is too large.  In that case, one would begin
wrapping at the second paint marks.

I hope this discussion might help those who are starting this learning
curve as I have.  Perhaps some of the more experienced members can put
their 2 cents worth in too.  The people I was worried about was those
who also bought the wrong size grips and used them on 1/4" cables.
There may be disasters waiting to happen!

Chuck, KE5FI