[TowerTalk] butane soldering iron

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] butane soldering iron
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:30:57 -0400
A much better one is made by Master Appliance...of course it's more
expensive as well.  However, it'll generate heat equivalent a soldering
gun.  The sell 3 different models... I recommend the medium one.  It sells
for about $85, has a nice long pencil time so you can do large PCB work
with it as well...if you are careful with the temperature.   I has a piezo
starter built in, so you just open the gas lever and hit the button, wait
about 30 seconds and you'll have plenty of heat.  The large model comes
with beefy tip that will solder a PL259 ground on RG8 in the dead of winter
(well, in a MD winter...maybe not MN or ND!)  The medium one works fine for
this unless it's very windy and or cold.

They should be available at any electronics supply house that sells a lot
of soldering equipement.

73, Ty K3MM

n4zr@contesting.com on 09/30/97 08:08:13 AM