[TowerTalk] GROUND RODS/JACKHAMMERS - FINAL CHAPTER

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GROUND RODS/JACKHAMMERS - FINAL CHAPTER
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:22:51 +0000
Today, rented the 65 lb. Bosch electric jackhammer with the ground
rod driving bit (they didn't have the bit for the smaller hammer).

As I expected, it was a bear to carry this thing up a 6 ft. ladder.
To make things easier, I used a sledge to insert the first 2 ft of
the rods.

The jackhammer drove the rods into the soil like butter. But, when I
hit a rock, that was it. Only once could I break thru with repeated
pounding. Three of the rods only went in about 4 feet (must have been
a big rock!) all exactly sticking up the same amount when sighting
from a distance.  I cut them off at ground level, and put the
remaining 4 ft in between the two other rods.

Lessons learned:
1. If using a jackhammer, you do need the bit made for driving ground
rods.  If using a jackhammer, it would be easier on the back to use a
30 lb. hammer.
2. Ain't nothing gonna penetrate the rocks!

Next step, Cadwelding them, over the weekend...
73 Barry

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@itw.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club