[TowerTalk] fyi-forwarded

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] fyi-forwarded
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 17:57:16 -0400
This was put back on the yccc reflector, I forwarded it here for all to see.

>I have checked the TowerTalk archives as best I can, but can't find that
>particular thread.  Can someone re-educate the list (and me in particular)
>regarding this process and its implications for us?

There was a discussion of Rockwell hardness of 4130 chrome-moly tubing on
the CQ-Contest reflector over three years ago. In addition, Dave Leeson
discusses the characteristic in considerable depth in his book "Physical
Design of Yagi Antennas", available from the ARRL.

While I don't recall what hardness Mr. Leeson recommended, I think that I do
recall that he mentioned that the hardness of any alloy could be tested
simply and easily by a competent metal shop; I believe it was a simple
stamping process.

Of course, picking up a 95-pound, 24-foot mast and attaching it to your car
roof for transport back to the metal shop was something that Mr. Leeson did
NOT discuss..at least, not to my satisfaction...

73, Steve Ko0U/1